I like to talk to cameras

Google launches the Chromebook!

Posted by on May 11th, 2011 and filed under All Posts, Newz, Technology n stuff. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Tech giant Google has made a major step forward into the computer OS world with the release of the Google Chromebook!  Normally you would use your computer to store all your images, music and videos – but this taps into the power of cloud computing which stores all of your data on a network.

I think this is an excellent concept..

These will be cheap computers that last a full days charge and that strip away all the excess and leave you with nothing but the web

Your data is synchronised online so you can access it from ANY Chrome computer.  Meaning if you lose or break your computer – you lose NONE of your data.  I personally think, this is going to revolutionise the way we do computing forever.

The technology has existed for some years now and there are many cloud computing services around for various purposes.  However, this (I believe) is the first fully fledged service whereby a company has partnered up with computer manufacturers to provide a service on mass to the general public.  Google’s current partners are Acer and Samsung and the two companies have released their first laptops to join the new Chromebook wars.

The current computers don’t appear to have the full ‘all day’ battery life promised by Google, but I am sure that will change.  They DO come with built in 3G and Wi-Fi though.

My only problem with this at the moment is – INTERNET SPEEDS AREN’T FAST ENOUGH YET!!

If like me, you are someone who regularly takes photos and videos, you can soon rack up some whopping gigabytes of data, which would take forever to upload using today’s average connections.  I use one of the ‘average’ broadband connections @ 20MBps which has painfully slow upload speeds for files upwards of 500MB, never mind trying to upload my entire photo collection (30,000+ photos) or my music.  This is the only thing which would hold me back from using a computer which solely relies on cloud networks.  Lets not even go there with current 3G speeds and connectivity!

Eventually when we catch up with Japan and South Korea’s average upload and download speeds, it’ll definitely be worth looking at.  For now, I shall observe the developments and get back to debating whether to get an iPad!

Should companies like Microsoft and Apple be scared?  I think so!

What do you think?

Chromebooks - a good idea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

16 Responses for “Google launches the Chromebook!”

1. Bianca says:

For work/businesses, I think it would be a great idea – in the future like you say with faster broadband speeds etc. But I dunno about doing the same with my personal things. I prefer to keep them private, and at home.

• Locksley says:

That's a good point yea.. With all this hacking stuff happening at the moment, who is to say our data would be safe on these cloud networks :S

2. I have been examinating out some of your stories and i can

state clever stuff. I will surely bookmark your blog.

3. niplanet.com says:

I really wanted to write a message to

say thanks to you for some of the marvelous concepts you are giving
    on this

site. My

time-consuming internet investigation has finally been
    recognized with reasonable knowledge to

write about with my

guests. I ‘d mention that many of us website visitors actually are definitely fortunate to live in a superb

place with very many perfect individuals with great tips and hints. I feel

somewhat fortunate to

have seen your web pages and look forward to so many more excellent minutes reading here. Thanks once again for all the details.

4. uk tippers says:

Hello there, You’ve done a great job. I will definitely digg it and for my part suggest

to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this site.

5. Garrett says:

It’s really very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, so I only use web for that reason, and get the most up-to-date information.

6. Mia says:

Attractive component to content. I just stumbled

upon your site and in accession capital to say that
    I acquire actually loved account your blog posts. Any way I’ll
    be subscribing to your augment or even I fulfillment you access consistently
    fast.

7. It is actually a nice and useful piece of information.

I’m satisfied that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

8. Dead written articles, Really enjoyed reading through.

9. These of great altitude attribute Rolex watches are given precedence while selecting trendy watches. Rolex watches for men are equally popular as of Rolex watches for women as they satiate the needs of both of them. One good thing about Rolex watches is that having unlikeness in their formation. While manufacturing Rolex circle take the shut observance of the latest trends and designs and in conclusion come up with debarring pieces that tally up the latest trends.

10. What’s up, this weekend is pleasant in support of me, because this moment i am reading this enormous educational article here at my home.

11. Navy maintains no such experiment occurred. Only in the final decade has there been an explosion on solar conversion technologies.

12. Hi! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

13. Thank you for every other informative site. Where else could I get that type
    of information written in such a perfect way?
    I’ve a undertaking that I’m just now operating on, and I’ve been at the look out for such info.

14. Very descriptive article, I enjoyed that bit.

Will there be a part 2?

15. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Chrome.
    I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I’d
    post to let you know. The design look great though!

Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Thanks