I like to talk to cameras

Missing iTunes.msi problem – resolved!

Posted by on Jun 9th, 2009 and filed under All Posts, Featured. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Ahh finally!  I have managed to figure out how to solve the ‘missing iTunes.msi’ file error that kept coming up when I tried to update iTunes!!

I was so scared of losing all my music and not being able to update my iPhone to the new 3.0 software because of this stupid error!

Anyway.  How to fix it..

*** UPDATE 29 JUNE 2010 ***

Apparently Microsoft has removed the link to the file now stating it may help some programs but harm others (thanks for letting me know Sandie!)..  So I have now uploaded the original file I used last year (good job I never delete things eh?)..  The file is [here] - remember it is an executable file, so you might want to ‘save’ it first, virus check it etc then run it.  I have re-tested it with Windows 7 and it worked today (29 June 2010).  This was initially tested with Windows XP back in June last year.

Disclaimer: It worked for me LAST YEAR when I posted this and TODAY when I updated this post (29 June 2010).  I cannot guarantee it will work work for you, or with newer versions of Windows etc since this post.  I do not claim to be a computer genius, I am only sharing what has worked for me.  Try it at your own risk.  (I assume by you finding this post all else has already failed).

First download the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and run it from Start Menu once installed.  Choose iTunes from the list and to be honest, any Apple related things such as Quicktime, iPhone stuff etc and then click remove.  At this point – don’t panic!  You will NOT lose any data such as songs, play counts, playlists etc.

Once you have done that – you are SORTED!!  Go straight to iTunes and download the latest version and it will install without a problem!  Everything remains the same apart from you will be using the newer shiny version of iTunes :-)

I LOVE iTunes so I would have been so upset if I had to lose everything and start again Grr!  Repost this info, or link to this blog as I am sure there are many others who will have encountered the same problem.  Lets spread the iTunes love people :-)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
The original Microsoft file was on this page

Now that you’ve sorted that out – how about using ANY MP3 file as your iPhone ringtone?  I made another tutorial for you!  Or if you’re interested, jailbreak your iPhone!

361 Responses for “Missing iTunes.msi problem – resolved!”

1. eaglezero says:

It still works. Had trouble updating…network error of some kind never seen it before…tried to find the uninstaller , it would not uninstall as it could not find itunes.msi. used the uninstaller as reccomended here, and voila….finally got rid of 10.5 and then installed 10.6 . Thank you

2. fredski says:

thx so much; it was not driving me crazy, but I'm very glad my problem is solved.
    And i was just googling 'iTunes.msi' and the sun was shining.

3. Mitch says:

Thanks, so much for this solution. I was just about to throw in the towel and pay
    Apply Support. Cant tell how appreciative I am

4. Kellwater says:

Thank you Thank you Thank you! I have been dealing with this problem for months and had no idea where to start..and yea, apple was WORTHLESS!!! First time I tried to remove the programs, it gave me an error and therefore the new intall of iTunes didn't work, so I was bumming. Thought I'd better do it again and this time it worked like a charm!! So thankful :)

5. Guest says:

Thank you soooo very much! I have been trying to get this fixed since last night and have been going crazy! Thanks for you awesome post and easy steps! You rock!

6. Alan says:

Thanks matey! Since the most recent iTunes update neither my old trusty iPod classic or my spanky new 4S would sync. Tried reinstalling but the whole .msi missing nonsense put paid to that… I don’t have a huge amount of hair to pull out, but Apple was doing its damnedest to make me remove the last remnants! Found this post (albeit originally dated some considerable time ago) & as you said all else had already failed so gave it a go… now sadly my PC was new when Noah put to sea so it wasnt quite a 2 minute task, but certainly within 10 minutes everything was up, running, sync’d & I was smiling again. I don’t suppose you have any hints on hair reinstallation do you?!? :D

7. mc2147 says:

What do you mean run it from start menu? I can't find the icon anywhere and after installing I can't find the program itself anywhere on the computer either, help please?
    Sorry for being a technological monkey.

8. Lou says:

I've got a big problem : the link Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility doesn't work with me… I downloaded it, but it says that there is an error… can you help me? It's driving me crazy and I'm so fed up about my iTunes' issue… Thx

• Zach says:

if you still get an error, the issue is probably that you'are trying to run the .exe without administrator approval. If you right click and select "Run as administrator," this should fix that problem

9. Ana Paula says:

thanks for sharing this solution with us!! =)

10. Peter says:

Joly good show! Thanks

11. Daysha says:

Yeah Me toooooooo thanks a million times over…You just don't know how much I have had my phone for three days and I have waited so long to get it and then couldn't use it my oooh oooh oooh! was poped to pocked out lips looking at my PC so frustrated. Now it Works!!!!!!!!! Smiling

12. Heather says:

Oh – I could just hug you!!! It has been months since I tunes worked properly and now that I have a new i-pod that would not accept the old version… it had it became a sudden emergency to fix this. You really are a rockstar!

13. Helene says:

OMG – it worked! I have had this problem for months and I've spent hours trying to delete these stupid files. This solved the problem in 5 mins. THANK YOU!

14. musician says:

THNKS!!! :D :D :D :D :D

15. Idemar says:

obrigado por sua ajuda, segui os passos e deu tudo certo…

Paz e Sucesso!

16. Burlar says:

Thanks man. You saved the day. Been struggling with this stuff since last year.

17. formerly confused says:

Thanks for the quick fix. Finally my iTunes is working properly again!

18. Thomas says:

Finally! You are awesome. Spent several hours trying to resolve and was able to fix it in a matter of 45 minutes once I found your site. Thanks Locksley!

19. Frank says:

I am very hesitant to upgrad Itunes in Future. It only ends up in problems. Thanks, this really helped. Now I still have to get my Ipad running, because Itunes does not see My Ipad any more

20. DiGi says:

OMG!!! Thank you soooooooooooo much!!! I've been looking for solution too and now i got it thanks to you!!!! Greetings from Mexico and god bless you!!! =)

21. JACK says:

thanks!!!!! you are so nice!!! im happy i dont have to do such an instinctive complex thing, thank you for making my life easy!

22. Schmitty says:

Thanks for the tip. It was driving me crazy for a while. The guys at the Apple Store missed the fact about the MSI file and updated my operating system which wiped out everything. After following these easy steps, my IPOD is back to normal again with all new updated files.

23. JEFF says:

THANKS A TON WORKED JUST LIKE YOU SAID

24. Suh says:

Gracias, pero muchas MUCHAS gracias… salvaste mi vida!! jajajaj THANK YOU!!!!! saludos desde Brasil!

25. Gill Bates says:

Thanks for the help.

26. Liz says:

YOU ARE FREAKIN AMAZING. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been struggling for months with this.

27. Laima says:

I LOVE YOU!! thank you so much!! xx

28. janardhan vijayapura says:

Even i done It. But it Still not installing

29. Vigz says:

Broooooooooo ur the man ki!! thnxz alot hd thz prblem frm a loong tme! thnx alooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

30. rolo says:

not working… BOOO

31. appmaniac says:

THANX SOOO MUUUUCH, your solution is simple e effective, at least for me. God Bless you!

32. diane says:

Thank you so much. Info was accurate and concise with immediate results. Amazing…

33. violet says:

Violet
    hi do you have any program to restore the imei from an iphone that is block?

34. mel says:

well im not really computer literate,but i could follow that and it worked thanks heaps

35. Norma says:

Thanks for solving this issue for me. I was at a loss until I googled the issue and found your blog; it was so easy the way you set it up with all the links. Thank you.

36. RVRC says:

This worked great. Thanks for the help.

37. StarySky says:

Wow that's nice…thank thank you….

38. m. k. says:

Thank you very much. You rock! 8 )

39. Gambit says:

Excellent!!!
    Thanks for this, sorted in minutes, wish I had found this site sooner.. :D

40. ashley says:

omg if i could hug you right now i would i have spent almost 4 hours trying to locate a missing file until i googled it and this site popped up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU SOOO VERY MUCH AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS

41. Sangita says:

I have the same issue with the missing itunes.msi file. I installed msicuu2 from your link, but do not see the program in the start>program file. Please help…

42. Eileen says:

Hi, this is now dec 2012 and I have just encountered this problem a few days ago which was driving me round the bend. As soon as I hit the link the utility came up, I removed everything to do with Apple and then reinstalled itunes from the download pge. I now can update my ipad and new iphone 5. You are most def a genius, thank you so much.

43. Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!|

44. David Ferguson says:

God bless yer

45. Dri says:

OMG you are and absolute genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE BEST!!!!!

46. Kassia says:

Thank you SO FREAKING MUCH. That helped me a LOT! God bless you.

47. Mayuri says: